First Presbyterian Cooperative Preschool, founded in 1954, offers a weekday early childhood education experience that provides age-appropriate, play-based child care.We have served children 2 ½ to 6 years of age.
Purpose: First Presbyterian Cooperative Preschool’s primary purpose is to love and care for the children that come through our doors and educate them through play-based experiences that center around educational goals and themes. We are a parent run co-op preschool though our Board of Directors and many parent volunteers.
Philosophy: Learning for preschoolers happens in play which is a child’s work. In play based learning, children are encouraged to apply many of Jesus’ principles such as doing unto others, forgiving, and sharing. These are social skills that will serve as a foundation throughout their lives.
Curriculum: Our curriculum for provides a stimulus and excitement for learning in different academic areas:
- In science, to be aware of the wonder of God’s creation and how it works.
- In all of the arts, to be exposed to them and to experiment and to enjoy them.
- In language, to be immersed in good stories and words and in activities that ready them for reading.
- In math, to stretch their understanding by using concepts in their everyday living.
- In social studies, to begin to know the richness that people of all backgrounds and ethnic groups can offer them.
Teachers attend to children’s communication skills, fine and gross motor skills, cognitive development, social and emotional development and personal well-being.
Tuesday 10:00 AM-2:00 PM, Friday 8:00 AM-4:00 PM.